Cybersecurity has become more crucial in today’s digital age, where information and data form the backbone of businesses and organizations. The evolving landscape of cyber threats demands a proactive and strategic approach to safeguard sensitive information. One such approach gaining traction is the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC). At Iviry, we hold all the necessary knowledge to help you obtain this certification. This blog delves into what CMMC is, its significance, and how it can fortify an organization’s cybersecurity defenses.
Understanding the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC)
The CMMC is a framework developed by the United States Department of Defense (DoD) to ensure that contractors and suppliers adhere to specific cybersecurity standards. These standards are designed to safeguard controlled unclassified information (CUI) and federal contract information (FCI) that flow through the defense industrial base (DIB).
The CMMC framework combines various cybersecurity standards and best practices from different sources, including the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Special Publication 800-171, ISO 27001, and ISO 27032. It assigns a maturity level to organizations, indicating their preparedness to handle cyber threats and protect sensitive data.
The Five Levels of CMMC
The CMMC framework comprises five maturity levels, each building upon the previous one, to create a progressive and robust cybersecurity posture:
- Basic Cyber Hygiene: This level focuses on basic cyber hygiene practices and safeguards Federal Contract Information (FCI).
- Intermediate Cyber Hygiene: Level 2 involves implementing more comprehensive and specific cybersecurity practices to protect Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI).
- Good Cyber Hygiene: At this level, organizations must have a complete and proactive cybersecurity program to protect CUI. This level aligns closely with the requirements of NIST SP 800-171.
- Proactive: Level 4 centers on advanced cybersecurity practices to defend against advanced persistent threats (APTs).
- Advanced/Progressive: The highest level involves an organization’s ability to optimize and adapt its cybersecurity practices to effectively address evolving threats and challenges.
The Path to CMMC Compliance
Organizations seeking CMMC certification must undergo an assessment by a certified third-party assessment organization (C3PAO). The assessment evaluates the organization’s adherence to the specific practices and processes outlined in the CMMC framework.
Documentation and Implementation
Organizations must document their cybersecurity processes and practices, ensuring they align with the relevant maturity level’s requirements.
Remediation and Improvement
Based on the assessment results, organizations need to address any gaps or vulnerabilities identified and make necessary improvements to reach their desired maturity level.
Once the organization meets the requirements of a particular maturity level, it can obtain the corresponding CMMC certification.
Ready to Strengthen Your Cybersecurity With CMMC Compliance? Partner with Iviry Today!
As a veteran-founded company specializing in tech and cyber solutions for Defense Industrial Base (DIB) entities, we offer managed IT services, cybersecurity, data security in cloud computing, and cybersecurity compliance services.